Associate Director of College Counseling
CGPS Mission Statement
CGPS nurtures each student’s unique passions and talents inside and outside the classroom, unifying and inspiring members of its community in a rigorous but relaxed learning environment, preparing them for the finest colleges and instilling in them the confidence, ethical values, and sense of purpose to embrace challenges, to achieve their dreams, and to improve the world.
Associate Director of College Counseling
Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School seeks a full-time Associate Director of College Counseling to guide 11th and 12th students and their families through the college admission process while working with a caseload of approximately 22 to 25 students.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Prior college counseling experience at an independent secondary school or selective college admissions experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge base of U.S. colleges/universities and independent schools; knowledge of overseas programs a plus.
- Demonstrated counseling skills beyond college admissions extending to the context of family dynamics.
- Ability and desire to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- A willingness to learn and counsel in the context of Columbia Prep’s unique culture.
- Exceptional communication/marketing, interpersonal, organizational and decision-making skills.
- Work closely with the Director of College Counseling and the college counseling team to meet the needs of individual students throughout the college process.
- Help students prepare their college applications and offer support during the writing process.
- Evaluate and improve the college counseling program each year.
- Advise students on course selection and its impact on the college selection process in collaboration with the class dean.
- Write letters of recommendation for assigned students and offer guidance to faculty with regard to their written recommendations.
- Organize and host student and family events throughout the year.
- Plan and coordinate college workshops for juniors.
- Accompany the Junior class on an overnight trip to visit three colleges.
- Maintain and guide students and families on the use of Maia Learning or similar college application program.
- Work with younger students to identify and apply to appropriate summer programs.
- Offer advice to faculty about curricular developments that might impact the college process.
- Keep abreast of financial aid issues in the college process.
- Establish new and maintain ongoing relationships with college admission officers.
- Host college admissions officers and representatives on campus each fall.
- Represent CGPS in professional associations.
- Take advantage of opportunities to regularly visit college campuses and attend relevant conferences.
- 8:00am-4:00pm Monday through Friday
- Weekly faculty and department meetings until 4:30pm
- Start date: Winter/Spring 2023; at the latest, August 1, 2023
Salary range for this position is $90,000-$130,000 annually. We offer exceptional benefits, and a warm and supportive culture.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest and resume by applying to this post.
Please indicate “Associate Director of College Counseling Position” in the subject line.
Columbia Grammar and Preparatory School is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment decisions on the basis of race (including hairstyle), color, religion, creed, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender and gender identity, gender expression, national origin, alienage, age, pregnancy, marital/partnership status, immigration or citizenship status, status as a veteran or active military service member status, disability, genetic predisposition, status as a victim of domestic violence, prior arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, salary history, unemployment status, sexual or reproductive health decisions, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable law (collectively, the “Protected Characteristics”).